A parish potluck will be held the second Wednesday of each month at noon. Everyone is welcome. Please join us right after the 11:30 AM Mass. This is always a terrific lunch and a nice time to spend with fellow parishioners!Parish Potluck: Second Wednesday of each month
Are you ready to fight hunger right here in our community? The first Sunday of each month has been designated as Food Pantry Sunday. Members of our parish are invited to bring nonperishable food items or monetary gifts on the first Sunday of each month to donate to the food pantry. Place your donations in the shopping cart in the vestibule of the church.Food Pantry Sunday
Plan to attend the final Faith Festival on Sunday, April 12th. We will meet after Mass and end with a luncheon at 12:30. Join us as we explore the origins of Divine Mercy Sunday, grow in our understanding of God’s Mercy and the message he sent to us through Saint Faustina, a humble Polish Nun. We’ll discuss Saint Maximilian Kolbe and Pope Saint John Paul II and the role they have played in the Divine Mercy Devotion. There will be crafts and a movie for the youth and time for families to come together. Like us on Facebook and participate in the Divine Mercy Chaplet beginning on Good Friday and ending on Divine Mercy Sunday.Divine Mercy Faith Festival: Sunday, April 12th
Decorating the church for liturgical seasons is a tradition here at Sacred Heart Church. Please consider a donation to the flower fund in memory of a loved one this Easter. As always, the name of your loved one, and the name of the donor will be announced in the bulletin.Easter Lilies
Sacred Heart parish will be awarding scholarships to current high school parish seniors who plan on continuing their education at an accredited college or university. Application forms are now available on the counter outside the McCann Center office. Completed forms must be returned May 3rd, 2015.Sacred Heart Parish Scholarships
Saturday, March 28:
- 10:00 AM Funeral Mass for David Pitz will be held in the church with luncheon following Mass in McCann Center
- 4:30 PM Confessions will be heard
- 5:00 PM Rosary will be prayed in the church
- 5:30 PM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Joanne Kielly, wife of Gearold Kielly
Sunday, March 29:
- 8:30 AM Rosary will be prayed in the church
- 9:00 AM Mass will be offered for the members of the parish
Monday, March 30:
- 11:30 AM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Ruth Keller, mother of John Keller
- 5:15 PM Confessions will be heard
Tuesday, March 31:
- 5:05 PM Divine Mercy Chaplet will be prayed in the chapel
- 5:15 PM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Mary Gulling, wife of Ron Gulling
- Adoration following Mass until 5:50 PM
- Confessions will be heard during Adoration
Wednesday, April 1:
- 11:30 AM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Mary Haworth
Holy Thursday, April 2:
- 7:00 PM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Cindy Henricksen, wife of Mark Henricksen
Good Friday, April 3:
- 7:00 PM Good Friday Service will be held in the church
Holy Saturday, April 4:
- 8:00 PM Easter Vigil Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Rosemary McKinstry, wife of Jim McKinstry
Sunday, April 5:
- 8:30 AM Rosary will be prayed in the church
- 9:00 AM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Alice Schroyer, wife of Jerry Schroyer
- 11:00 AM Mass will be offered for the members of the parish
Welcome to the website of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, located in Newton, Iowa.
This is a Roman Catholic Church in the Diocese of Davenport. The church is located at 1115 South 8th Avenue East, in the southeast quadrant of Newton.
Sacred Heart is a vibrant Catholic Community, living its Eucharistic faith in the risen Jesus, proclaimed in word and deed, celebrated in worship and sacrament, and shared in outreach to the parish community, to the diocesan and universal church, and to the wider secular community.
Our social center, staff offices, and administrative offices are housed in the McCann Center, dedicated in 1969 to the memory of the Rev. Msgr. Thomas J. McCann, who served as pastor here from 1910-1960.
The church was dedicated in 1976 and was renovated in 2005, when a courtyard was enclosed to create a gathering space at the entrance to the church. This project included a new sacristy, a day chapel, and the creation of handicapped accessible restrooms. The key element of this construction is the addition of a flowing water baptistry, which also serves as our holy water font.
Please spend some time browsing our website, but more importantly, come and visit us in person and join us in the celebration of the holy Eucharist. May God bless you this day and always.
Mass ScheduleWeekend Mass times at Sacred Heart Church:
Saturday at 5:30 p.m., Sunday at 9:00 a.m.
Weekend Mass time at Immaculate Conception Church in Colfax:
Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
Weekend Mass times at Saint Mary Church in Grinnell:
Saturday at 5:30 p.m., Sunday at 9:00 a.m., Sunday at 11:00 a.m.