This Saturday, April 26, Bishop Amos will be here to confer the Sacrament of Confirmation at the 5:30 Mass.Confirmation
Newton Christian School will be having its annual hog roast and auction on Friday, May 9th at Community Heights Worship Center, located at 2500 S. 13th Ave E. Food will be served from 4:30—6:30 PM with the open auction following shortly thereafter. Auction items include donated items from local businesses, along with vacation packages, event tickets and theme baskets.Newton Christian School Hog Roast & Auction: May 9th
- Do you know someone who was raised Catholic and seldom comes to Church?
- Are you a Catholic who now feels separated from the church?
- Would you like to know more about the Catholic Church as it is today?
- Would you like to feel at home in the Catholic Church again?
- Would you like to renew you relationship with the Catholic Church?
If you can answer yes to any of these questions you are not alone.
On May 1, 2014 at 7:00pm in the McCann Center we will host the first session of “Catholics Returning Home.” Catholics Returning Home is a short six week program that meets once a week for an hour and a half. The program begins with an informal listening session and continues with updates of the Catholic faith.
No matter how long one has been away and no matter what reason we will welcome you to consider renewing your relationship with the Catholic Church. If you would like more information about Catholics Returning Home please contact Deacon Dan Goetz at 641-521-9929 or Sacred Heart Parish at 641-792-2050
The first step for parents wishing to have an infant child baptized at Sacred Heart is attending a Baptism Gathering with the child. At the Gathering parents discuss the responsibility involved in having a child baptized and share ideas on living out their commitment to raise their children in the Catholic faith. The next Baptism Gathering is Sunday, April 27th at 6 p.m. in the Gathering Space of the church. For more information call or e-mail Tammy Norcross, Pastoral Minister.Infant Baptism Gathering: Sunday, April 27th
Congratulations to Ann Ratliff observing her 20th anniversary as secretary at Sacred Heart Church on Wednesday, April 16.Congratulations
Applications for the parish scholarship for our graduating seniors are now available in the parish office. The date for the return of the scholarship is May 5.Scholarship Applications Available
Good Friday, April 18:
- 7:00 PM Celebration of the Lord’s Passion
Holy Saturday, April 19:
- No Confessions or Rosary today.
- 8:30 PM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Kay Moffitt, wife of Bob Moffitt.
Sunday, April 20:
- No Rosary today.
- 9:00 AM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Alice Schroyer, wife of Jerry Schroyer
- 11:00 AM Mass will be offered for the members of the parish.
Monday, April 21:
- 11:30 AM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of George Sevenich, brother of Esther Boyle
Tuesday, April 22:
- No Mass today.
Wednesday, April 23:
- 11:30 AM Mass will be offered will be offered for the repose of the soul of Brennen O’Brien, son of Robert O’Brien
Thursday, April 24:
- 5:15 PM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Frank LaRosa, husband of Mary LaRosa
Friday, April 25:
- 9:00 AM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Dennis Stewart, husband of Ruth Stewart
Saturday, April 26:
- No Confessions or Rosary today.
- 5:30 PM Mass will be offered for the repose of the soul of Rosemary McKinstry, wife of Jim McKinstry. Confirmation will be celebrated during Mass.
Sunday, April 27:
- 8:30 AM Rosary will be prayed in the church
- 9:00 AM Mass will be offered for the members of the parish.
Welcome to the website of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, located in Newton, Iowa.
This is a Roman Catholic Church in the Diocese of Davenport. The church is located at 1115 South 8th Avenue East, in the southeast quadrant of Newton.
Sacred Heart is a vibrant Catholic Community, living its Eucharistic faith in the risen Jesus, proclaimed in word and deed, celebrated in worship and sacrament, and shared in outreach to the parish community, to the diocesan and universal church, and to the wider secular community.
Our social center, staff offices, and administrative offices are housed in the McCann Center, dedicated in 1969 to the memory of the Rev. Msgr. Thomas J. McCann, who served as pastor here from 1910-1960.
The church was dedicated in 1976 and was renovated in 2005, when a courtyard was enclosed to create a gathering space at the entrance to the church. This project included a new sacristy, a day chapel, and the creation of handicapped accessible restrooms. The key element of this construction is the addition of a flowing water baptistry, which also serves as our holy water font.
Please spend some time browsing our website, but more importantly, come and visit us in person and join us in the celebration of the holy Eucharist. May God bless you this day and always.
Mass ScheduleWeekend Mass times at Sacred Heart Church:
Saturday at 5:30 p.m., Sunday at 9:00 a.m.
Weekend Mass time at Immaculate Conception Church in Colfax:
Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
Weekend Mass times at Saint Mary Church in Grinnell:
Saturday at 5:30 p.m., Sunday at 9:00 a.m., Sunday at 11:00 a.m.